This one is going to be short and sweet but I think this is something every traveler to Thailand and perhaps other Southeast Asian destinations needs to know.
The only real dead giveaway is the Adams apple… however that can be surgically removed so you can’t depend on this one alone. Absent an Adams apple, check out the following features:
1. Voice – many ladyboys have an awful sounding masculine voice (think Borat doing his impression of his wife).
2. Facial structure – many ladyboys have something that just doesn’t look quite right about their facial structure, sometimes the face just looks a bit masculine, sometimes it just looks weird in some way you can’t quite put your finger on.
3. Hands – ladyboys often have big manly hands.
4. Feet – like hands, big feet are a telltale sign that you may be in for a nasty surprise.
5. Knees – I’m not sure why but sometimes the knees just look strange on ladyboys.
6. Shoulders – most real ladies do not have broad shoulders like a line backer, especially in Asia.
7. Height – ladyboys tend to be taller than the genuine article.
8. Little finger nail – for some reason, sometimes gay guys and ladyboys grow one of their little finger nails really long.
9. Behavior – ladyboys often make much more aggressive sexual advances than the real ladys.
If any of the things on the list above don’t seem right to you, there is a chance you’re dealing with a ladyboy. If more than one of these factors seems off kilter, you almost certainly have a ladyboy on your hands. I’m told you can always ask if you’re in doubt and that they will usually tell you the truth but not always.
Above all trust your instincts, if something doesn’t seem quite right it probably isn’t. Many long time expats I’ve run into have confessed to accidentally banging a ladyboy when they were drunk. Stay alert and stay sober, don’t become another statistic!